Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Priestesses of Longing

When I saw Rick Owen's S/S 09 collection I basically died a little death and came back to life full of artful longing and desire. It's like the priestesses have baptized me, purifying me, making me new again. How can a fashion collection do that? I don't know. There must be something wrong with me. But I know I'm not alone in my capacity to be moved by art and fashion. So I think I'll keep on sharing.




Hail Mary of Darkness, post-apocalyptic warrior, pagan gothic priestess. Goddamn. I can't even take it. The mood reminds me of another beautiful fashion story I fell in love with last year styled by Edward Enningful for Italian Vogue where he juxtaposed puritan and santeria-esque priestess dresses, in a crazy ecstatic mash-up evoking the crucible, exorcism and robotic worship. Fucking crazy and beautiful.













It also reminds me of this incredible editorial from Privé Asia Winter 2008. Evangelical nun princess hybrid wanders the streets of a mystery city with people needing to be saved. Or something like that.








I would also call these women priestesses of longing, though they don't have quite the same warrior strength of Rick Owen's spring 09 models. Rick Owens, wherever you are, you've stirred in me a deep inspiration and longing, and for that I thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment